Two students awarded degrees in hospital room

The J-TAC

FORT WORTH – Not able to make it to Saturday’s commencement ceremonies this past weekend, two students hospitalized after a car accident participated in a unique hospital room graduation Friday.

Tarleton President Dr. F. Dominic Dottavio awarded bachelor’s degrees to Shelby Thiebaud and Colt Price in the trauma unit at Texas Health Harris Methodist Fort Worth. The two remain hospitalized after a Dec. 4 wreck on U.S. 67.

Price remained in his hospital bed during the ceremony and Thiebaud listened from a wheelchair next to his bed. The two have been dating for a couple of years.

“It’s my distinct honor and privilege to award these degrees,” Dottavio said, dressed in full academic regalia. “Both students have distinguished themselves academically as well as outside the classroom.”

Thiebaud, from Dublin, received her bachelor’s in animal industries and Price was awarded a bachelor’s in industrial technology. Dozens of family members and friends attended the emotional, makeshift graduation.

“Commencement is the most important event in the life of a university,” Dottavio said. “I’m honored to be a part of their life’s history.”

Also participating in the ceremony were Rusty Jergins, Vice President of Student Life; Dr. George Mollick, department head of engineering technology; and Dr. David Snyder, professor of animal science and wildlife management.

Thiebaud’s brother and Tarleton student, Kody Thiebaud, was also injured during the accident and remains hospitalized. Their father, Lt. Col. Daniel Thiebaud is an executive officer for Tarleton’s ROTC program.

Price and Thiebaud were passengers in a Dodge pickup when it was struck by an 18-wheeler. Thiebaud was ejected from the vehicle and suffered a fractured pelvis among other injuries. Price was left with a spinal cord injury, as well as a broken neck and back. He has so far endured two surgeries and breaths through a tracheal tube.

“Be bold. Be courageous. Be determined,” Dottavio told the two. “Even as you move forward in your recovery.”