Divisions combine in effort to better meet academic needs

In an effort to improve planning between enrollment growth and instructional capacity, Tarleton State University administration approved the merger of the Divisions of Enrollment and Information Management and Academic Affairs.

“This change will allow us to more closely align academic capacity planning to enrollment growth,” said Tarleton President Dr. F. Dominic Dottavio. “It is also designed to strengthen our efforts toward improving the student experience through closer integration of academic programming and academic support.”

The realignment went into effect Sept. 1.

The Division of Enrollment and Information Management was designed to recruit and retain more students for the university as well as aid in institutional planning. Enrollment Management departments include School Relations, Admissions, Registrar’s Office, Financial Aid and Scholarships. The Division also encompasses Information Technology, Institutional Research and Student Success.

Because Academic Affairs’ mission is to improve academic programs at Tarleton at both the undergraduate and graduate level, the merger will make it easier for the two areas to work together and provide quality programs for students.

“Coordination within administration has improved as key leaders from both divisions are combined in regular council meetings,” said Dr. Karen Murray, Provost and Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs. “The merger will improve services to current and future students and therefore is a positive change for Tarleton.”

Common academic support services provided by Enrollment Management are advising, Upward Bound, testing, disability services and the Gateway program.

“The divisions were merged in order to improve coordination between the academic departments and degree programs, and the academic support units designed to assist students with degree progression,” Murray said.

The merger went into effect with no interruptions to student services provided by the divisions.