Career Services offers advice to graduating seniors

Justin Green / Staff Writer

Career Services recently gave Tarleton State University seniors a chance to learn more about what it takes to be successful after graduation. From interview skills to financial planning, the event was geared towards students about to walk across the stage and into the workforce.

The department hosted Super Saturday on Nov. 19 in the Thompson Student Center. Participants listened to three presentations followed by a free business etiquette luncheon.

Alana Hefner, director of Career Services, said the goal of Super Saturday was to give seniors one last push before sending them off to graduation.

“We have topics from what not to do in an interview, how to maximize your skill sets, and financial planning, so that students know what a 401K is and what the difference in insurance packages are,” Hefner said. “This is getting seniors ready for the work force.”

The speakers included Christi Sanders, Granbury City Manager; Angie Nimmo, Human Resources representative at FMC Technologies; and Cary Strohmeyer, financial adviser for Integrity Financial Services.

Strohmeyer said he was trying to give the future graduates a look at some of the things that they will encounter that may have not been covered in their class work at Tarleton, such as retirement planning and life insurance. He said he was there as an advisor, and wanted to prepare the students for things that future employers think they should already know before entering the work force.

“A lot of students don’t know what a mutual fund is, or what a 401K is, or what an IRA is, or what kind of decisions they are going to have to make on the first day of work,” Strohmeyer said.” As they walk in, they are expected to fill out a packet of all these decisions, and they don’t know what they are making decisions about.”

For more information about Career Services and their upcoming events, visit www.tarleton.edu/STULIFE/careerservices/index.html