Go gold for Luke Nelson

Go gold for Luke Nelson

Rachel Crawford, Managing Editor

On Friday, Sept. 16, students at Tarleton State University are encouraged to wear gold to raise awareness for childhood cancer and attend the Stephenville High School football game to stand in support of Luke Nelson.

On April 22, 2016, Luke was diagnosed with neuroblastoma. According to Mayo Clinic, neuroblastoma is a cancer that develops from immature nerve cells found in several areas of the body. This type of cancer mostly affects children under age 5, but can also occur in older children.

After he was diagnosed, Luke underwent several rounds of intense chemotherapy, and just recently, a long surgery to remove the tumor.

“Luke’s tumor and all the affected lymph nodes were completely and totally removed!!” Luke’s mom, Mia Nelson, posted on Facebook. “Dr. LaQueglia searched all over the insides of Luke and removed every piece of tumor he found.”

Shortly after this surgery, the Nelson’s received news that Luke would be named Stephenville High School’s Heart of Gold recipient. During the game on Friday, Luke and his family will be honored to raise awareness for childhood cancer.

T-shirts are being sold at Stephenville schools, but the public can buy shirts from Barefoot Athletics.

“He is such a sweet little boy that loved Spiderman, Hulk, Batman, God and his sisters,” his parents wrote on a GoFundMe page set up to help with hospital and living expenses. “We know that Christ will give us courage and strengthen us through this journey and that He has our family on this path for a reason.”

According to Cure Search, patients with neuroblastoma have a relapse rate between 50-60 percent, so even though Luke’s tumor has been taken out via surgery, he will likely continue fighting for the next few years.

Luke’s parents would like everyone to participate and wear gold on Friday and come and show their support for Luke at the football game.

The GoFundMe page can be found at www.gofundme.com/lukenelson.

A Facebook page made by Luke’s parents to post updates on Luke can be found at www.facebook.com/prayers4luke.

Via Prayer Warriors for Luke Nelson