Tarleton enforces new parking rules near Bosque Crossing Apartments

Rachel Crawford, Managing Editor

The general consensus among Tarleton State University students it that parking has been terrible so far this semester, but around Bosque Crossing Apartments, parking has been virtually nonexistent.

On Sept. 12, the Stephenville Police Department put in place new parking restrictions around Bosque, which means many students had to find new places to park.

Bosque has a parking garage, but because of construction on Vanderbilt Street in front of the garage, it has been closed since the middle of August. Once the students that were displaced from the residential hall construction moved into the apartments, empty parking spots vanished.

Besides the parking lots being completely full, the streets around the complex were lined with cars.

“To say that we at Bosque Crossing are all extremely frustrated with this ongoing construction situation on Vanderbilt would be an obvious understatement. Although, we do understand that situations may arise that can call for temporary inconvenience in the spirit of campus improvement, this project certainly seemed to be very poorly planned, timed and executed,” Bosque Staff said in a statement.

“To not have access to our parking garage for such an extended period of time is really doing a huge disservice to the residents that call Bosque home, not to mention creating a major challenge operationally to provide quality housing for Tarleton students.”

On Sept. 9, the Stephenville PD sent out a letter stating the news rules. These new parking restrictions should help the flow of traffic in this area, and should free up room on the roads in case any emergency vehicles need to get through.

On Monday Sept. 12, police were outside the complex, putting tickets on cars parking on the now restricted sides of the road. Most students had not moved their car by Monday because no parking could be found near the apartment building or because they had not received the email stating the new rules.

“We ask for cooperation and voluntary compliance with these changes to improve safety in the area,” Jason Halsey, assistant police chief said in a letter announcing the restrictions. “Non-compliance of these parking restrictions may result in citations being issued or vehicles being towed at the owner’s expense.”

If students do not have a parking permit yet, they can pick one up a visitor’s pass at the Bosque office to stick in the front window of their vehicle.

Once the parking garage is back open, which is scheduled for September 19, all normal parking schedules and restrictions are back in effect.