Tarleton Planetarium offering access to the stars and more

Rachel Crawford, Managing Editor

The Tarleton State University Planetarium has announced their fall 2016 showing times for the public. Different shows will be playing every Thursday, Friday and Saturday. On Fridays, movies are shown after a planetarium show, and the movie alone on Tuesdays.

In September, the original “Pokémon” will show the 9th and 13th, “Grease” will show the 16th and 20th and “Tombstone” will show the 23rd and the 27th.

During October, the planetarium will host a horror month. Each movie shown will be a horror movie to get students in the spirit of Halloween.

On Saturdays, a Pink Floyd show will be shown after the regular planetarium show. Music will be put to patterns for a visual show.

The planetarium, located in the Lamar Johanson Science Building, was renovated in 2015 and now has 86 reclined seats, two new projectors that have “Edge Blend” technology that creates a 40-foot screen and more to enhance the overall experience.

The planetarium facility is also used for classes such as The Art of Film and Astronomy classes.

“We can put psychedelic patterns to music. We can show movies, and what I call ‘edu-tainment,’ which is education and entertainment,” Larry Barr, planetarium manager, said.

“It also gets used for straight entertainment, so it’s a multipurpose facility. The one thing it’s not good at is for students taking tests.”

Students are encouraged to send movies that they would like to see in the planetarium to their email, or on Facebook or Twitter.

General admission for shows at the planetarium is $5, and $4 with a Tarleton student ID, senior citizens and for military and first responders. Seating is limited, so shows are on a first come first serve basis.

A full schedule of events and shows can be found on the planetarium Facebook (@TSUPlanetarium) and Twitter (@tsuplanetarium) and on the Tarleton website at

http://www.tarleton.edu/planetarium/index.html.