Amidst rumors of May Fete cancellation, Boren sets record straight

Victoria Blake, Content Editor

On the evening of Sept. 15, Twitter was lit ablaze as rumors of May Fete, an annual pageant held during Founder’s Week each spring, was cancelled.

May Fete is a pageant held during Founder’s week that tests a woman’s wit, beauty, and intelligence contestants vie for the title of “May Queen.”

Some students took to twitter to express opinions about the rumor.

“First Ole Miss gets rid of Dixie Than Tarleton gets rid of May Fete what’s next, America gets rid of freedom?” @StevenFosterkid

One student saw no issue with the alleged cancellation

“Everyone’s upset about Tarleton getting rid of May Fete when the last two have had a total attendance of no more than 100 people. Cmon guys.” @NateNicklas

One alumni didn’t even know what May Fete was.

“I graduated from Tarleton and have no idea what May Fete is,” @murff92

Because of rumors that May Fete may be cancelled, JTAC News reached out to Dr. Laura Boren, Vice President of Student Life.

“I had expressed concern about the May Fete event, and asked that we need to look at it and either re-vamp or reconsider something else,” Boren said.

Boren continued when asked how the rumor got started.

“I think its I haven’t met with the student group [Tarleton Ambassadors], but the rumors such as this one, sparked from a brief conversation with the Tarleton Ambassadors and a very sort email follow up over the Founder’s Week dates. That’s stemmed into an assumption by some students that sparked into way more than what was anticipated.”

“They haven’t even begun to plan the program. My understanding is the Tarleton Ambassadors just recently assigned committees to work on their different programs throughout the year,” Boren said.

“At this point and time, May Fete has not been cancelled. I have issued the challenge to look at it and redo it. I have also issued the challenge of making Founder’s Week a stronger program, that’s adopted by the university as a whole.”

As of now, May Fete is scheduled for April 4, 2017. More details will be given as Founder’s Week approaches.

This is a developing story.