Athletic fees raised for more construction

Angel Jauregui, Contributor

Three years ago, Tarleton State University proposed an Athletic Fee Increase Referendum. This referendum would provide the university with the money for 10 proposed projects.

These project include; a synthetic turf softball field with two flag-football fields, natural turf football field, walking trail and more.

The proposed referendum would also help the fund enhancements to current intercollegiate competition athletic facilities. But one question remained in everybody’s mind where would all the money for this referendum come from?

The money for these projects would come from three different classes at Tarleton. There are two proposed referendums. A two-stop increase of $6 per semester credit hour for the freshman class of 2013-14 and another $6 for the class of 2014-15. The second proposed referendum would have a three-step increase per semester credit hour step would be a $4 increase on per semester credit hour with the addition of the class of 2015-16. However, only two of the projects are almost done with completion.

“The turf projects should have been completed by August but were delayed due to rain,” Director of Recreational Sports, Robert Nimmo, said.

Nimmo says he was unable to give a time table for the completion of the project, because the construction company was not positive of how much longer it will take to finish these projects.

The total cost for these project is a little over $2 million.

“The only projects near completion are the softball fields and flag-football fields” Nimmo said. He is uncertain if they will be completed by Sept. 26 deadline.

The club sports that depend on these fields have been pushed back for opening season and will be unable to use them for practice until completion. However, Nimmo wants to assure the students that once completion is done, Tarleton will greatly benefit from them.

“Not only will the facilities be a better quality than before, they will also be made from synthetic turf, which will not show any wear and tear from being used, as a regular turf field would,” Nimmo said.