Women’s recruitment by the numbers

Kristen Bowman, Contributor

One of the busiest weeks in Greek Life at Tarleton State University is Recruitment Week. This year, 405 women came out and 314 of them received a bid. All five of the women’s Greek organizations met the quota of 61 women joining. However, there were a few of the organizations that received more than the quota. Delta Phi Epsilon received 66 women, and Delta Zeta and Phi Mu received 63 each.

The potential new members went through a series of recruitment events. The first was the Sisterhood round where they were able to get to know each sorority, how much money it would cost to join and meet the active members.

The second event was the Philanthropy round where potential new members would learn about the sorority’s national organization, how each one would give back to the community through philanthropic service and more.

Finally, they went through the Preference round, which is more serious than the other events. During this final round the seniors gave presentations about their overall experience in the sorority.

“All five of our sorority on campus are fantastic,” Landry Underwood, the Assistant Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life, said. “[The sororities] are all diverse and on an equal playing field. All five have similar values, such as; academics, social, sisterhood and community service.”

In addition, Underwood explained that this year the retention rate went up, meaning that the number of women accepted grew by 44 women. She also expressed that this year, most of the women were excited to be a part of a community, not a specific sorority.

Underwood explained she was the Graduate Assistant for Fraternity and Sorority Life at Oklahoma State University. Then, she was the Coordinator of Greek Life at the University of South Alabama. Underwood shared that from the moment she stepped on the Tarleton campus that she got the feeling of community and family. When she started working in the Tarleton Greek Life, she says she had a whole new experience.

“The leaders and general students made the move easier. I have been here since May and it has been a fantastic experience. The students here really try to use the core values in the jobs and in their organizations.”

“Through Greek Life the students are genuinely happy for their sister and brother and want to see them succeed. That makes my job great,” said Underwood. “Seeing all of the men and women grow and develop into a community and a chapter is satisfying.”

Underwood also expressed all of the emotion that goes into Recruitment Week. She said seeing Recruitment Week run smoothly due to all of the hard work that the student leaders and the Executive Board payoff is exciting.

“This is my favorite part of the job,” stated Underwood about Bid Day. “Seeing the happiness that the women feel on the day that they go home to their chapter make me happy. Well, it is happy and sad. It is the last ceremony that the seniors are at, so that part is sad. But seeing the happiness of the new members is awesome.”

For more information about Greek life, contact Landry Underwood at [email protected] or 254-968-9252.