OP-ED: Traditions haven’t changed here

Nikayla Payne, Photo Editor

This is my fourth homecoming, but not my last as a student. From my first homecoming to my current homecoming, not a lot has changed except maybe the people who actually show spirit for their school, or only show spirit during this one particular week. With four homecomings under my belt already, I can already tell you who I will and won’t see at event the rest of this week.

Student organizations will make appearances at all the large and most spoken about events, unlike other students who are much more grade driven than the rest of us. Those of us who are looking to get “the college experience” or something not so crazy, but still want to make amazing memories will more than likely be at every event or at least anything with the word “FREE” slapped in front of it.

Now I won’t lie to you and say I have attended every event this year, but I’ve been to every event in years prior that I kind of know what to expect and which events I can and cannot live without attending. Homecoming is my favorite time of year, and I will admit that missing events earlier in the week has killed me a little inside even though I do have one more homecoming left. This is the time of year that every organization goes out and represents themselves and just makes homecoming a much better time.

Watching the Silver Bugle Hunt and Yell have to be two of my favorite events. Observing the silver bugle hunt and seeing students who know their Tarleton history and fun facts is simply amazing and brings a smile to my face. Personally, I suck at remembering history but can remember the little fun facts about our school. I love this university and bleed purple just as much as the next guy or gal.