Grassburr hosts Centennial editor Reunion

Haley Smith, Contributor

This past Saturday, the Grassburr held their Centennial Editor Reunion. Previous editors from the past from the 50’s were invited to come and celebrate and reminisce on their years as editors.

“We wanted to celebrate the centennial yearbook, the 100th edition this past year. We wanted to gather all the past editors that are still living,” Savannah Baxter, Marketing and Promotions Student Coordinator for Student Publications and former co-editor, said.

“We just really wanted to enforce this tradition and show people that we are still distributing and creating the Grassburr and still honoring the tradition and see in their eyes that we are doing well.”

Baxter said she invited all of the previous editors that she could find on Facebook. She said that she did try to get in contact with the Alumni House, but she was not able to get any contact information from them.

To prepare for the reunion, Baxter had to work with the Alumni House to get everything set up. She also had to find all the previous editor’s pictures and get them printed and hung up, along with contacting all the old editors.

Elena Fajardo, current Grassburr Editor-in-Chief, said they gave away Grassburr Centennial pens and buttons to get out the word for this year’s yearbook.

“We had the mini versions of the first editor of the Grassburr so that everyone could take home a piece of history, along with pictures of old editors that they could look through them find themselves and point out people they went to school with and it was really interesting to see,” Fajardo said.

Since this was the first ever reunion that the Grassburr has, Baxter and Fajardo said they will not be planning on the next one because they want to continue having the reunion on another year of significance. They said the next Editor-in-Chief would be in charge of setting up the next reunion which could be for the 150th or 200th anniversary.

“It was really exciting getting to meet the old editors; we had one from around 1952. There were different people who came up to our booth and it was fun to see them name off all the people in the photos,” Fajardo said.

“It was really nice to see them reliving their years.”