Rodeo team bucks up to a number one ranking

Angel Jauregui, Contributor

The Tarleton State University men’s rodeo team is ranked No. 1 in the country this season. Both the men’s and women’s rodeo teams have competed in the first five regional rodeos of the fall season.

The season opened with the Eastern New Mexico University Rodeo on Sept. 15 and closed with Texas Tech University-Lubbock Rodeo on Oct. 27.

“The students ended this last weekend at Texas Tech for the fall season with both men and women’s teams on top at the half way point,” Mark Eakin, Head Rodeo Coach, said.

The men’s team will enter the spring season with 2,212 points and ranked first in the Southwest Region. The women’s team is also ranked first in the Southwest Region and will enter the spring season with 1,230 points.

The rodeo team practices 3-4 days a week, depending on the schedule.

However, Eakin says, “Many students have their own practice livestock and facilities, so on the days that we don’t have practice, they are putting in the time and creating the sweat equity they need to be successful. “

Tarleton bareback rider Kody Lamb is ranked number one in the Southwest Region’s bareback riding standards and Kyle Walker Parrish leads the regional tie-down roping title race.

“Kody is a very driven and hardworking individual in and out of the arena. He sets goals for himself, and works to achieve those goals,” Eakin said.

Once the spring season begins, Eakin believes Kody has set himself up well to qualify for the College National Finals Rodeo again.

On Oct. 15, the Rodeo Teams took part in the Clarendon College Rodeo and it once again they had a very successful weekend in the grounds. Both the men’s and women’s team were ranked first. The Men’s team stands with 1,822 points while the Women’s team stand with 945 points. Texas Tech fell down to third place with 955 points despite being second before entering this rodeo event.

Once again, Bareback rider Kody Lamb and Tie-down roper Kyler Parrish of the men’s team, proved they had what it takes to be part of the Tarleton rodeo team as they remained in first place in their individual categories. Unfortunately, Parrish ranked third in Tie-down roping after taking part in the Texas Tech Rodeo, while Lamb continued to be ranked first.

The Tarleton Rodeo team plans on taking Nationals this year and to continue on being ranked number one in the country according to Eakin.

“The plan is always to claim another national title, individually, and with both teams. We have a lot of talent and a great group of students that are hard-working and have their goals set,” Eakin said.

Eakin says he is very proud of his students and hopes they continue on working as hard as they have been for the last five competitions in order for them to have a successful spring season.

“With so many variable factors involved in each event, every competition has its own obstacles, so it is hard to pick just one,” Eakin said. “We as a team just try to have the mindset going into each competition to be prepared, and to adapt and overcome.”