Senior Art Students to showcase work

Kristan Bartlett, Contributor

Every year at Tarleton State University, the Clydett Wells  Fine Arts Center offers senior art students a chance to display their works in a gallery. Each individual student picks his/her own subject and style in which they want to present.

Accompanied by their projects are other pieces that they have worked on in order to show a variety of their own personal works. These can range from paper to three dimensional projects.

This year, Kenneth Lowery, Alex Adame, Michael Ruiz, Meghan Dahlke and Angelica Carlisle all will have a chance to display what they’ve been working on in their art class.

Lowery, a digital medias manager, will be showing his project “The Lowery Guitar.” He was inspired by his love for music and the inspiration to build his own brand of guitar.

Adame, a Digital Media major, will be presenting her recreation of Disney photos. Her inspiration came from the realistic movies that are coming out about all of the princess, and stories that are told. She has taken the realistic portion of characters and placed them into a photograph. Her subjects will be Belle from Beauty and the Beast, Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella and Wendy from Peter Pan.

Michael Ruiz, an Art major, is basing his main project off of National Football League, in which he’s entitling “Quiet Moments on the Sidelines,” his piece will be an acrylic painted monochromatic form which includes black and grey tones. His inspiration comes from growing up and playing sports and being involved with different teams. He aims to show a vivid image of how body language and emotion can be captured within a painting.

Dahlke, a Fine Arts major, will be portraying a two dimensional project in which she strives to help people see that art has a way of communicating in a way that words cannot at times. She has gone to multiple elementary and middle schools to have the students complete a simple art activity in which they draw two self-portraits. Her inspiration came from the determination to inform people about art therapy.

“I believe the art making process has a way of revealing as well as healing in ways that are unique to this form of therapy, Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life,” Dahlke said.

Carlisle, a Fine Arts major, with emphasis in Digital Media, will be presenting a digital based, line drawings of cities she’s been to. Her inspiration came from Matteo Pericoli, an illustrator and architect who has created work in a way similar to hers and has many books created by him as well.

“The exhibition is a good opportunity to look at work as a whole, not just individually. It can show the world this is who I am and who I want to be as an artist.” Chris Ireland, Associate Professor stated.

“Real world is very sobering, you’re not always going to get the feedback that you’re hoping for when you put yourself out there,” Carlisle said.

“When students host these exhibitions it’s giving them a chance to get a taste of how the real world will be once they’re on their own. You have to have a thick skin to be an artist.”

The Senior Art Students will begin showing their work in the Fine Arts Gallery 14-8, and Nov 30-Dec 7.