Tarleton Equestrian team jumps over competition

Photo courtesy of Tarleton Equestrian Team

Kristan Bartlett, Contributor

The Tarleton State University Equestrian Team went and competed at the University of Oklahoma in an English horse show the weekend of Oct 22 and 23. The equestrian team is made up of expert horseback riders who compete in horse shows with other colleges in the region, in both English and Western flat, as well as jumping and reining.

The Tarleton students that competed were Mikayla Wommack, Haley Vincze, Summer Farmer, Jessica Johnson, Ashley Murray, Olivia Crawford, Sarah Boronkay, and Briana Borne.

When asked about her favorite part of being on the team, Vincze responded ““The best part of the team is the friendships. Riding horses is a fun activity and to do it with such great people makes the experience well worthwhile.”

Each student received a placing in different events that went on throughout these two days.

Mikayla Wommack placed second and third in beginner walk trot.

Haley Vincze placed fourth twice in beginner walk trot.

Summer Farmer placed third and fourth in intermediate fences, and fifth in intermediate flat.

Jessica Johnson placed first and fifth in novice fences, and had two placings of second in intermediate flat.

Ashley Murray received two placings in second in intermediate fences, and fourth in novice flat.

Olivia Crawford placed second and third in novice fences, along with a fourth and fifth place in novice flat.

Sarah Boronkay got second and fifth in beginner walk trot canter.

And Briana Borne held fourth and sixth place in beginner walk trot canter.

“I love being on the team. It feels pretty good to go to compete. There’s nothing like holding ribbons in your hand and feeling accomplished.” Wommack said

“The best part of the team is the friendships. Riding horses is a fun activity and to do it with such great people makes the experience well worthwhile.” stated Vincze.

“Competing is so much fun because it takes what I’ve learned and challenges it with new horses, and it’s great to have the team support me as I go into the ring,” Haley Vincze said.

“The biggest part that gets me when going to compete is overthinking the patterns, posture, etc. But when I’m in the ring, I leave it all behind me. You could say nervous, thinking too much, and excited is how I feel when I’m about to go compete.” Wommack said.