Students react to the presidential election

Turning Point USA group at the election watch party. Emily Mitchell JTAC News

Rachel Crawford, Managing Editor

On Tuesday night, it was announced that Donald Trump became the president elect for the 2016 presidential election. According to CNN, Trump received 290 electoral votes, while Hillary Clinton received 228.

As of 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday on CNN’s website, with 92 percent of the votes in, Trump has received 59,624,803 votes. Clinton has received 59,838,669 votes.

Tarleton students had mixed reactions about the outcome of the election.

Sarankan Selvakularanjan, junior, said, “I think [Trump] won fairly and I hope he will carry out his office the way the founding fathers would be proud of.”

“He’s our new president. I’m somewhat excited to see what he can do for our country,” Ivy Carlson, junior, said. “I think people really need to grow up and accept it.”

“I think this election was one of the closest and most controversial in history,” Sarah Hoffman, freshman, said. “I think Donald Trump is going to be a good president. He’s going to make America great again!”

“I am happy it’s over!” freshman Kylie Ann Hornback said.

“As an individual opinion, I don’t think he had the right morals, nor the political experience, to run a country,” Mariah Howard, sophomore, said.

“I didn’t expect this outcome, and would hope he listens to his advisors considering he claims he’ll have a lot of smart people surrounding him, and I hope he realizes how important this position is and acts rationally when making decisions,” freshman Erin Herndon said. “I just hope we never have another election like this again.”