Tarleton hosts Intersectionality discussion

Kristan Bartlett, Contributor

On Tuesday November 15, the Office of Diversity and Inclusion hosted a seminar about interfaith differences and commonalities in order to foster an understanding, build coalitions among different groups and work together towards social justice to produce an opportunity for students to learn how to create an inclusive environment for all students.

Mustafaa Carroll, who is with Council on American-Islamic Relations Houston Chapter, Shannon Grubbs, Minister in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and Dr. Matthew Hallgarth, Associate Professor, hoped that the dialogue would allow the opportunity for students to learn about Islam and to see how to build strong relations between the different groups.

“Muslim and Christian people look at it like it’s two different religions, but actually it holds the same concept so there’s not much of a difference,” freshman Ebonie Stewart said.

Tiburcio Lince, Office of Diversity and Inclusions Coordinator said, “It’s a matter of perspective. Each of us sees the world from a very different perspective. For example, if you are a male, you will see the world from that perspective provided by your frame of reference and in-group membership to a patriarchal society. But identifying yourself as a “male” does not mean that your experiences as a male are universal but rather shaped by different aspects of your individuality such as ethnicity, phenotype, sexual orientation, etc.”

Lance continued by saying, “In the same way our individuality varies greatly, there ARE some points or “intersections” in which our experiences are rather similar. From these intersections that I mention is where we would like to have a conversation: how can we, regardless of creed, strive towards inclusivity and equity, and respect each other’s sincerely held beliefs and human dignity without prejudices and bias.