Tarleton Police Department promotes Kristie Bint as second female sergeant

Photo courtesy of Tarleton Media Relations

Kristan Bartlett, Contributor

On Nov 14, the Tarleton State University Police Department promoted Detective Kirstie Bint to Police Sergeant. She is the second female to achieve the rank of sergeant in the Tarleton department’s history.

“Tarleton Police, just like any police department, is a representation of any community.  Most police departments strive to attain diversity in their workforce to better represent their constituents.  I am a firm believer in having both diversity and solid performers, they are not mutually exclusive.” Matt Welch, Police Chief and Director of University Police, stated. “The PD here at Tarleton serves not just students, but faculty, staff, parents, alumni and visitors.  That is a wide range in ages and other demographic factors.  We are always conscious of the fact and strive to deliver service with respect.”

Bint joined Tarleton Police Department in 2001 and worked as a patrol officer. She served as the department’s lead detective during the past four years. In addition to investigative duties, Bint also oversees the department’s semi-annual Rape Aggression Defense course where she is the instructor to the all-women defensive technique class. She also is a certified field training officer and the departments use-of-force policy instructor.

“It feels great to be the second female sergeant, although I worked my way up through the ranks just like everyone else. I enjoy this job because every day is different. I help people one call at a time, making a difference a little at a time. My favorite thing about this job is all the people I get to meet,” Bint said.

“Having this position means a lot to me, I worked hard to get here and I plan on continuing to work hard to move up when the opportunity arises. I am proud to be a police officer and help keep this university safe along with the faculty, staff and students.”