Hazing incident involving fire results in Plowboys suspension

Rachel Crawford, Managing Editor

A Plowboys hazing ritual involving fire and blindfolds that led to multiple injuries resulted in a one-year suspension for the organization.

On Wednesday night, Plowboy president, Halen Valasquez made the announcement on Twitter.

“It saddens me to announce the Plowboy Organization will not be active until January 2018. We respect the school’s decision on the matter, but pride ourselves in the traditions of out spirit organization,” Valasquez wrote.

JTAC News received a report through the Freedom of Information Act about the incident that occurred.

According to the report, the incident happened on November 15 at 1:50 a.m. Plowboy recruits were blindfolded and taken to a ranch where they were set around a fire to be told their faults by the initiated members of the Plowboys.

“We were getting ready to leave when one of the members asked me to put out the fire. In this process, I was given a water bottle that was mistakenly filled with gas. When I began to extinguish the fire, I poured the water bottle full of gas onto the fire and it erupted in my [redacted]. When this happened my natural reaction to being caught on fire was to drop the bottle in my hand. In doing so the rest of the gas ignited and the fire went up into big flames,” one comment on the report said.

_____________

“I personally thought that it was foolish and somewhat irresponsible for gasoline to be kept in a water bottle like what had happened that night and that luckily the accident hadn’t gotten any worse.”

_____________

“We saw a huge flame of fire shoot to the skies and heard screams of panic and fear. I saw complete and utter chaos. My brothers were all screaming and yelling. One screamed, ‘Who [redacted] my brother?’ As I looked to my right, I saw [redacted] on his knees, holding his hand, screaming and cursing the members in pain.”

_____________

“Normally I wouldn’t report something like this, but since someone’s life, well-being and finances, seeing as the family is paying for the hospital bills, were put into question, I will not stand for this as an active student on this campus. I know the real story, Tarleton.”

_____________

“A recruit was put in harms ways, [redacted] and had to go to [redacted] and that is not something I want my child to continue pursing unless a change is made and I will not rest until something is done to the organization and/or the member responsible for the action.”

_____________

“He confessed that he was told by the president that if he didn’t tell the story he was given he would be cut from joining the organization.”

_____________

Statements in the report indicate that this was not the first time this event had taken place.

“Leese asked why they blindfolded us and I replied by telling him that it was for separation from the recruit and members and that it had been done for a long time.”

At the end of the report, a list of sanctions were implemented for the Plowboy organization, including moving the recruits to active status immediately with no initiation. If the Plowboys choose to reorganize in January of 2018, according to the report, they will be required to abide by the following rules:

1. No more than an 8-week recruitment-period
  2. Approval of recruit program each year by the University
  3. Rewriting of “tradition” activities and membership development
  4. Full time professional member of the Division of Student Life as advisor or co-advisor
  5. Rewriting/reconstruction of Constitution and Bylaws

One comment on the report said, “The Plowboy organization realized that the actions of the night were wrong and moving forward they plan to address these issues in more of a judicial meeting environment.”

Many people took to Twitter to express their disagreement with the school’s decision for the suspension, including starting the hashtag #backtheplowboys.

Tarleton released an official statement on Thursday night.

“The Tarleton State University Plowboys were notified December 6 of a one-year suspension, until January 2018, for violation of university policies linked to hazing. The suspension follows a thorough investigation of a November 15 initiation incident, resulting in the medical treatment of one Plowboy recruit and injuries to a second recruit and an active member.

“Student safety is a top priority for Tarleton State University. Tarleton prohibits any activity that may be construed as hazing and acts swiftly to investigate all allegations of such behavior. Tarleton expects its student organizations to adhere to the university’s core values of Integrity, Civility, Leadership, Service, Excellence and Tradition.”

After many questions were asked on Twitter to would build next year’s homecoming bonfire in the fall, Dr. Mike Leese, Associate Vice President for Student Life, said that Dr. Laura Boren, Vice President of Student Life, is putting together a team to build the 2017 bonfire.

Read the full investigation report