‘American Ninja Warrior’ contestant to speak at Tarleton tonight

Courtesy of the Office of Diversity and Inclusion

Briana Busby, Contributor

Abel Gonzalez, from American Ninja Warrior, will be coming tonight speak to the public at Tarleton State University. This free event is from 6-8 p.m. in the volleyball gym and is open to the general public in the community, including faculty, staff, students and the Stephenville community.

“His mission is to motivate individuals and spread awareness,” Tiburcio Lince, Coordinator of Office of Diversity and Inclusion, said.

“Diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, a rare autoimmune disorder that occurs when your body mistakenly attacks its own tissues, [Gonzalez was] told he would be wheelchair bound by age 30. He wouldn’t accept that fate. He studied, researched, experimented and made a choice. His eating habits, physical movement and mind-set would all have to change if he wanted to keep his ability to walk and use his hands.”

Gonzalez, 32, is healthier than ever. According to Lince, he has been able to inspire many people having trouble in life and to show everyone the results of unwavering persistence with a positive outlook and relentless spirit.

“His message will resonate with a very diverse population. He will talk about homelessness, abandonment, racism and negative cultural expectations,” Lince said. “There are many fields of study here on campus that should feel compelled to attend this event: anywhere from Kinesiology to Social Work.

“I’ve been working personally with Mr. Gonzalez and we are psyched about this!”

Gonzales will be signing shirts for people to buy; the proceeds will go toward his mission.