Study abroad students sell raffle tickets for private concert

Briana Busby, Contributor

Tarleton State University’s study abroad students are selling raffle tickets to raise money for study abroad trips. The winner will get a private concert with Bart Crow, a Tarleton alumnus.

“He is very generous and, as an alum, he wants to give back to the university. He really cares about this place,” Dr. Marcy Tanter, English and Languages Professor, said.

The fundraiser started when students started began voicing concerns about fundraising for study abroad trips.

“Studying abroad means that my students and I have a special opportunity to learn about another culture by spending time where it originates. There is nothing that can teach you as much about a place as visiting it,” Tanter said. “The longer you are there, the more you learn. A short trip gives you a tiny taste of a place, a long trip really lets you get to know it.”

According to Tanter, the benefits of studying abroad are massive.

“There are too many to try to explain, but basically it allows them to see how other people live. They can learn about other communities that are based in the U.S., but to learn how communities in other countries function, they have to go there. For example, my students last summer got to know the owners of some local restaurants who treated them like they were part of the neighborhood,” Tanter said.

“When students go on the Spanish immersion trips, they live with host families so they see how families live in Spain, Costa Rica, Colombia etc.”

Tanter hopes that this fundraiser, which supports the College of Liberal and Fine Arts trips, will be the first of many.

Raffle tickets are $10 for one ticket and $25 for three tickets. Tickets can be purchased from Tanter, Dr. B. Cecillia Marrugo-Puello, Dr. Ivelisse Urban, Dr. Tara Shelley, William Heath, and their study abroad students. The tickets will also be sold outside the library and other places over the next couple of months.

The winner will be announced on April 4, as part of the Day of Giving.

Studying abroad can be really expensive. “The cost varies depending on the program,” Tanter said. “It could be as little as $1,500 and as much as $10,000 or more. My program to South Korea, for example, is $5,400 for 4 weeks including airfare, tuition and expenses there.

“This fundraiser is important for our students so please support them. And the next time you see Mr. Crow, please take a moment to tell him how much it means to us as a campus that he cares about our students!”