Tarleton partners with Collin College for degree bridge program

Briana Busby, Contributor

Tarleton State University has created a partnership that will have four year plans for students transferring from Collin College.

Collin College is a multi-campus community college system with over 52,000 students. It is located at Collin County, which is north of Tarrant County.

“Collin College includes campuses in Allen, McKinney, Plano, and Frisco. This agreement allows Tarleton State University to recruit on campus on a regular basis and allows transfer staff at Collin College to make more resources about Tarleton State University available to Collin College students,” Dr. Anthony Edwards, Assistant Professor and Director, said.

Collin College is a large community college in a rapidly growing area of North Texas. Collin College provides many associate’s degrees for which credits could transfer in to many degrees at Tarleton.

“This partnership expands a long and successful relationship between the two institutions,” said Tarleton Provost Dr. Karen Murray in a press release. “Anything we can do to make it easier for students to continue and complete their education is a priority for us. Access to a high-quality, affordable four-year degree program should be available to anyone with the desire to pursue it, and our collaboration with Collin College provides that opportunity for many North Texas students.

“We have been working on the agreement since June of 2016, getting approvals from both Tarleton State University and Collin College.”

The agreement was reviewed by Assistant Vice President for Enrollment Management and Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs, who signed the agreement. At Collin College, the agreement was reviewed by the Associate Vice President for Academic Outreach and Vice President for Academic Affairs, who signed the agreement.

“Tarleton State University began as John Tarleton Agriculture College, offering associate’s degrees. By helping students transfer to Tarleton State University, we are honoring our heritage and our founder, John Tarleton,” Edwards said.

“We are also exposing more people to Tarleton’s core values, history, and tradition. We are now working to create guided pathways from specific associate’s degrees at Collin College to specific degrees at Tarleton State University.”