Diversity speakers to talk on Women’s History Month

Briana Busby, Contributor

March is Women’s History Month and Tarleton State University is celebrating with different speakers coming throughout the whole month.

“Women’s History Month is an annual declared month that highlights the contributions of women to events in history and contemporary society,” Tiburcio Lince, Coordinator of Diversity & Inclusion, said.

“For Women’s History Month we have two speakers lined up. On Tuesday, March 7, we have Dr. Amy Aldridge Sanford, who will speak about the role of women in leadership. On Wednesday, March 8, also International Women’s Day, we have Dr. Jensen Branscombe leading our Diversity Dialogue. She will talk about twenty-first century feminism.”

Aldridge will speak on Tuesday, March 7 from 6-8 p.m. in Nursing 107. The Diversity and Inclusion Dialogue series, where different broad topics that have to do with diversity and inclusion are discussed, features Branscombe on Wednesday March 8 from 12-1 p.m. in Room 27 of the Barry B. Thompson Student Center.

All events are offered by the Office of Diversity and Inclusion and are free, campus-wide events for everyone to learn more about the history of women and the empowerment of women, Lince said.

“The events offered by the Office of Diversity and Inclusion are not targeted to specific audience. In our planning, we keep all genders, all ages, all ethnicities, staff, faculty and students to ensure that everyone is welcome,” Lince said. “Many people think ‘well that event may not be for me because it’s called Women’s History Month.’ But the reality of the situation is that everyone should be invested in learning something about different topics and current issues in today’s society.

“I would like to invite everyone to check out our events and learn a different perspective that may not be necessarily found in the textbooks.”

If you would like to learn more about the speakers, visit the Office of Diversity and Inclusion on Tarleton’s website at tarleton.edu/diversity or the calendar of events at tarleton. edu/calendar/diversity/.