April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month

Hilaree Foreman, Editor-in-Chief

What is S.A.A.M.?

The month of April is recognized as Sexual Assault Awareness Month. S.A.A.M. was first observed nationally on April 1, 2001.

The goal of S.A.A.M. is to raise awareness for Sexual assault and violence in an effort to spread accurate information around about sexual violence and assaults.

Why do I need to know about this?

Sexual assault is a serious and widespread problem.

According to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center, nearly one in five women in the United States have experienced rape or attempted rape in their lives, and 1 in 71 men have experienced rape or attempted rape.

Nearly one in two women and one in five men have experienced sexual violence victimization other than rape at some point in their lifetime.

Victims of sexual assault often experience short-term consequences including guilt, shame, fear, numbness, shock and feelings of isolation. Victims may also experience long-term health risks and behaviors such as PTSD, eating disorders, depression, pregnancy and STIs.

How can I help?

Prevention is possible and it’s happening. By promoting safe behaviors, thoughtful policies and healthy relationships, Tarleton can create a safe place where every Texan is treated with respect.

If you or someone you know has been a victim of a sexual assault, know that you have options.

If you wish to get a forensic exam, you may go to the Texas Health Harris Methodist-Stephenville emergency room and a licensed professional will be able to assist you.

Along with the physical healing, psychological healing can begin at the Tarleton Student Counseling Center where what you say will be confidential and you are of no obligation to report your assault to the Tarleton Police Department or to the Title IX office here on campus.

If you are uncomfortable talking to a counselor at the Tarleton counseling center, Cross Timbers Trails Family Services is available for counseling, advocacy and can help provide you with a protective order if it is deemed necessary.