Tarleton Police Department encapsulates history

Payton Robb, Contributor

As the renovations for the first Tarleton State University Police Department stand-alone building draws to an end, Police Chief Matt Welch thought the building could use a little bit of history. A time capsule was placed in one of the building’s columns on March 31.

“I have been involved with the remodeling of the building since the beginning, and one day, I saw an open column towards the front,” Welch said. “I thought it would be a great place to put a time capsule.”

The capsule is filled with different present-day artifacts such as a group photograph of the Tarleton police force along with the names of everyone in the department; the most recent copy of a JTAC News newspaper; copies of three major news story headlines published by The Wall Street Journal, FOX News and NASDAQ; a Tarleton Police Department patch; several police and parking brochures; a Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) flier and a campus parking map.

“From the time I saw the open column to the time it was enclosed, I had only one day to organize and finish the capsule,” Welch said. “I found a small metal lock box and filled it with items I found lying around the department.”

Along with these contents, the capsule also contains a letter written by Welch.

“l basically wrote a letter addressed ‘To whom it may concern,’” Welch said. “It notes different events that are currently happening, such as Tarleton’s centennial anniversary as a founding member of the Texas A&M University System.”

There is no specific date to when the capsule will be opened, though it is marked by a plaque.

“We do not know how long the building will be here,” Welch said. “When the time comes, and it is either torn down or remodeled again, the capsule will be opened.”

The new headquarters’ location is the site of the original Stephenville Fire Department. The building has been under construction for a year, and the police department is expected to move its new home sometime in May.

“I am looking forward to being in the new building,” Welch said. “I hope whomever opens the capsule can see how things have changed and maybe even laugh at the olden days.”