Tarleton construction: will it ever end?

Everett Meade JTAC News

Unsightly construction machinery like backhoes and cranes have been used to complete the new Engineering building.

Rachel Crawford, Associate Editor

Additional reporting by Angel Jauregui and Mitch Patino.

If you’ve been anywhere on the Tarleton State University campus in the past few years, you know there is extensive construction happening.

“The Utility and Infrastructure Project is a nearly $26 million endeavor to substantially upgrade the university’s water, drainage and electrical capacity while also improving the campus aesthetics by creating wide pedestrian walkways and removing the electrical poles,” Harry Battson, Assistant Vice President for Marketing and Communications, said.

Battson said this particular should be finished by February 2018.

The new engineering building, which started construction this last spring semester, is due for completion in fall 2018. Classes should begin in January 2019.

“The $54 million engineering building project will create state-of-the-art classrooms and laboratories for students in engineering, computer science and engineering technology areas,” Battson explained.

Another huge project that just started is the renovations to Memorial Stadium.

Before the football game on Sept. 23, a groundbreaking ceremony took place, with President F. Dominic Dottavio, A&M University System Chancellor John Sharp and other Tarleton and A&M System officials present.

Battson stated that the project, which is a $26.4 million expansion and renovation, should be completed in one year, opening in September 2018.

The project was originally approved $24 million in 2015, but Mike Myers, a Tarleton Distinguished Alumnus, donated $2.4 million this past spring.

“Track surfaces are also being replaced as part of the project, along with expanding the seating to more than 9,000, re-orienting the home side to the west and enhancements to the entrances, concession stands, press box and suites,” Battson said.

Construction is not expected to impact games or parking. Both Tarleton and the Stephenville High School football season should go on as planned.

Construction is not only happening on the Stephenville campus though. According to Battson, the construction includes a new building that will have a counseling that should accommodate up to 2,500 students. It should be open to classes for the fall 2019 semester.

“The $40 million project will create a three-story, all-purpose academic facility with classrooms, faculty offices and space for support services, including the library, advising and financial aspects,” Battson stated.

One thing is for certain, students will continue to see construction on campus for a few years, but hopefully it will all be worth it in the end.

To keep up with the latest construction updates follow the Tarleton State University Construction and Safety Facebook page.