Cross Timbers promoting Domestic Violence Awareness Month

Klaire Brocke, Contributor

For many people who have survived domestic violence or a sexual assault, the hardest part is finding a safe place to process what had happened and be able to talk to someone, which is exactly what Cross Timbers Family Services is there for. The mission of Cross Timbers Family Services “is to enhance safety and justice by preventing domestic violence, sexual assault and other violent crimes in our community through empowerment, advocacy, awareness and action for social change.”

“On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men,” according to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. With these numbers, it is critical for men and women to have a safe place to go to talk about what happened. Cross Timbers has a 24- hour hotline so people can get counseling and care. They also offer judicial help and emergency shelter for those who need to leave the situation.

Since October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, they are asking that people wear purple on Oct.19, which is also Tarleton State University Purple Thursday. They are hoping to get Tarleton involved by having as many Texans wear purple as possible. They also would like for people who are wearing purple shirts to use the hashtags #CTFS, #GoPurple and #DVAM and upload them to social media.

For students who survived domestic violence or sexual assault. They have safe places to go to in Stephenville at Cross Timbers Family Services and Tarleton’s Student Counseling Center and Student Health Center. The important thing to remember is that you are not alone and there is always going to be people there to show you support.

Call the 24-hour hotline at 866- 934-4357.

To find out more information, visit their website at ctfshelp.org.

You can also follow their Facebook and Instagram @ctfshelp.

JTAC News attempted to reach out to Cross Timbers Family Services, but they did not respond in time for print.