Movie review: ‘Blade Runner: 2049’

Stephen Lowe, Contributor

This past Thursday, Oct. 5, “Blade Runner: 2049” was released to theaters. The film is currently playing at the Cinemark Stephenville Cinema 6 located in between Game and Movie Traders and Golden China in the Bosque River Shopping Center.

This sci-fi movie stars Ryan Gosling as the new Blade Runner. The cast includes other big stars, including Harrison Ford, Jared Leto and Robin Wright, who you may remember as Jenny in “Forrest Gump” or from the “Princess Bride.”

“Blade Runner: 2049” takes place 30 years after Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner from 1982. Both Blade Runner movies revolve around the “Replicants,” a genetically engineered people that were used as a slave labor force by the government. It is a Blade Runner’s duty to track down and kill the runaway Replicants. Ryan Gosling’s and Harrison Ford’s Blade Runners go through a minor existential crisis and do some soul searching in their respective movies as well.

On the night of the premiere, the Stephenville cinema provided a fantastic movie-going experience. Whether at student prices or not, the tickets are cheaper than most theater prices. The staff was very helpful and friendly. They worked together to help the customers as quickly and efficiently as possible, and it wasn’t long before I was in my seat, snacks and drink in hand, waiting for the movie to start.

If you were a fan of the first Blade Runner movie, you will enjoy this one. This dystopian future does well to showcase some interesting fictional technological advances. The cinematography and special effects are amazing. If you are interested in a movie that will lead you to self-discovery, what it means to have a soul and what makes us human, then this is the film for you.

If you’re looking for a full blown action movie, this one has some exceptional scenes, but it’s more of a noir film than an action thriller.