Tarleton student, Brody Cress, reins in top 10 for world standings

Kristen Bowman, Contributor

Another Tarleton State University student has achieved greatness. Brody Cress is currently number six for the 2017 World Standings for Saddle Bronc Riding. His achievements include winning the title at the California Rodeo Salinas; the title at Cheyenne Frontier Days in Cheyenne, Wyoming; the title at Old Fort Days Rodeo in Fort Smith, Arkansas; the title at the All American ProRodeo Finals in Waco, Texas and more.

Cress has an extensive achievement list, however, he states that he could not have done it on his own. Many people have helped Cress to reach his goals, including his professors. One of his favorite professors is Mark Eakin, Head Rodeo Coach.

“He has helped out so much. Not only with Rodeo, but he is so good to everybody on our team. He helps you with not only rodeo, but becoming a better person. And working further down the road in life and going past rodeo,” Cress said.

Cress expressed that all of the rodeo coaches help their students to have the best experience possible. The time that they dedicate to their students helps to enrich their college experience and helps them to reach their goals.

Cress chose Tarleton because of the rodeo team and the academics. His favorite tradition is being a part of the rodeo team, which has been winning championships since 1947. Cress enjoys being a part of the team because he gets the opportunity to teach other students how to ride broncos. His favorite place on campus is the practice arena. On the other hand, when Cress is in a competitive arena, he focuses on relaxing.

“Everything happens in a split second,” Cress said. “I try to relax and let my body do what it knows how to do.”

Cress is unique in the fact that he is so young and already on his way to the Wrangler National Finals (NFR). However, he would not be on his way there if it were not for his parents who have supported him.

“I was riding horses since before I could walk. I grew up riding sheep and then I rode cattle steers, team roped a bunch. I started riding buckin’ horses when I was 16,” Cress recalled.

The passion that Cress has for riding is evident. His dream job would include being a rodeo coach or owning his own ranch. Cress has the best opportunities to exceed at either of his dream jobs and to succeed at this year’s NFR.