Tarleton hosts International Week this week

Courtesy of tarleton.edu

Klaire Brock, Contributor

International Week is this week at Tarleton State University, from Nov. 13 to the 17 with presentations Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from international students.

“International Education Week is a joint initiative from the Department of State and the Department of Education of the United States. These departments encourage all individuals and institutions interested in international education to participate,” Carlos Figueroa, Assistant Director of International Programs, said. “That’s the reason we celebrate International Week here at Tarleton. We hope to encourage and prepare American students for a global environment and attract future leaders for abroad to study, learn, and exchange experiences.”

Every presentation comes with a lunch that celebrates the culture the presenter is talking about.

Tuesday, Rinchen Wangchuk, international student from Bhutan, will speak on the rich natural environments and cultures of his country from noon to 1 p.m. in room 125 of the Math Building.

Wednesday, Dongguk University, Jin So Kim, Suk Min Han and Heonmi Kim will present about college, traditional foods and recreation in South Korea from noon to 1 p.m. in room 27 of the Barry B. Thompson Student Center.

Friday, Garen Thomas, international student from Dominica, he will talk about his country’s culture and cuisine and the recent devastation Hurricane Maria caused from noon to 1 p.m. in room 27 of the Thompson Student Center.

On Friday night, World Trivia Night and International Buffet will be hosted from 6 – 8 p.m. in room 27 of the Thompson Student Center.

This week is a great opportunity to learn about other cultures from students from those cultures and the global issues affecting everybody.