Taylor named AVP in Academic Affairs

Dr. Diane Taylor was recently selected to serve as the Assistant Vice President for Academic Programs and Accreditation. This will allow Taylor to lead the university’s program review, program approval and accreditation efforts.

“I will be involved with the planning and development of academic programs on campus, various assessment initiatives and serve as the university liaison to various outside agencies,” Taylor said.

Taylor earned her bachelor’s in elementary education from Tarleton, and then her master’s in special education and doctorate in special education leadership from the University of North Texas. Also, Taylor acquired four professional certifications such as educational diagnostician, early childhoods handicapped, language and learning disabilities and elementary education.

“I have always had a passion for education, so teaching seemed a natural fit,” Taylor said. “I was also passionate about quality educational programs and practices for students with disabilities, so have made that the focus of my educational career.”

Before working at Tarleton, Taylor has been employed with school districts including Hamilton and Granbury Independent School Districts, where she served as a special education teacher, educational diagnostician and director of special education. In addition, she was on the faculty at West Texas A&M University and was selected Outstanding Professor in the College of Education and Social Sciences.

Beginning at Tarleton in 2001, Taylor was a faculty member in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction, teaching courses in special education. Also, she served as the teacher certification officer and director of educator preparation services.

“I have been fortunate to be a part of one of the best teacher preparation programs in the state here at Tarleton,” Taylor said. “The university is committed to quality education for all of its students, and I feel blessed to be a part of such an organization.”

During Taylor’s 10 years at Tarleton, she has received eight externally funded grants, directed graduate student research, contributed to publications and made numerous presentations. In addition, she has served as a faculty advisor for Alpha Chi National Honor Society and as faculty senator and faculty senate officer.

“Having worked directly with Dr. Taylor in her role as Curriculum Chair and in more recent months in her role in preparing our newest academic programs for system and coordinating boards approval, I am confident she will provide exemplary support service to our academic departments and for our academic programs, and our institution during external review processes,” Dr. Karen Murray provost and executive vice president of academic affairs said.

During the last three months, Taylor has represented Tarleton on the newly formed Texas A&M University System task force on learning outcomes. The TAMUS Board of Regents recently formed the task force to examine the development of a set of common learning outcomes for all system schools. Taylor is currently working with members from the various TAMUS institutions to meet the board’s objectives in this area.

“I hope that my new role affords me the opportunity to assist the broader Tarleton community in the continued development of high quality educational programs for all of our students,” Taylor said.