Tarleton Professor Educator of the Year

Tarleton Professor Educator of the Year

Briana Busby, Contributor

Don Beach, Tarleton State University professor of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, was honored by the Texas Council of Professors and Educational Administration as Educator of the Year.

The TCPEA, which meets twice a year, works to improve and advance leadership in education by helping members become more effective teachers, encouraging research, and creating positive relationships with state and national organizations.

“I was very surprised and deeply honored to have received the award from a professional group I have belonged to for years. I know past recipients of the award and I am extremely humbled to be among them,” Beach said.

Beach said he was not only was he surprised that he received the award, but that he was also shocked that his former students would even think to nominate him.

“I am honored that my former students would not only nominate me for the award, but provide supportive documentation,” Beach said. “This award is about all of my former students and the amazing educators they have become.”

Beach said he was attracted to teaching because of his interest in science and because of numerous science fairs that he had participated and won in.

“I started at the university thinking that I would be a microbiologist and thought that I would discover a new antibiotic,” Beach said.

He decided that he wanted to be a biology teacher and that’s where he started his career at. He used to tell people that formaldehyde, which used to be used to preserve specimen for dissection, flows in his veins.

Beach first came to Tarleton in 1981 as Dean of the School of Education. He liked being a dean, because deans at Tarleton also teach and he liked that part of the job. He returned to full time teaching in 1987 because he was writing a textbook and didn’t like the politics that eliminated the degree in teaching as a basis for certification.

Before Beach came to Tarleton, he worked at University of Texas at Arlington because he thought it was a better fit for him and he wanted to return to Texas.

“I came here when Dr. Trogdon was President and the campus was smaller and like a family. I have seen such growth from a campus of about 3,000 students to now over 13,000 students,” said Beach.

Since being here, he has worked under four different presidents and many different deans and department heads.

“In my years here,” Beach said, “it is the people who have made a difference, especially the students. Tarleton has always had amazing students.”