Tarleton welcomes new English club this semester

New this fall at Tarleton State University, is an English Club under the advising of English professor Dr. Meg Oldman. “Dr. Marcy Tanter and I saw an opportunity to bring together English majors, minors and anyone interested to create relationships that would benefit the students throughout their four years at Tarleton,” Oldman said. Oldman had the plan going and once she talked to Cailtyn Oxford about it, Oxford was hooked. “Once Dr. Oldman mentioned [the club], I was on board,” Oxford said. “I’ve always wanted one, we just never had one.” Oxford was so excited for the new club she even got a new title to add to the excitement.
“Caitlyn volunteered to step up as President of the organization and was voted in by the students,” Oldman said. “We are excited that she is the student leader of the club as she is a keen participant and is driven.” The English Club is like any other club on Tarleton’s campus, as it will give students opportunities and an environment will like minded peers. “It will provide a social and professional setting for students to network with one another and learn about the various opportunities afforded to them through English Studies,” Oldman said. Oxford enjoys the club because they are all going through the same classes and they all enjoy the same pass times. “We want to get people together with the same interests and obsessions that we have. We all love books and writing, and we are going through a lot of the same struggles in our classes. Why not have a place where we can get together and talk about those things,” Oxford said. The English Club meetings are held the first and third Tuesday of each month and on the second Thursday of each month for an additional book club meeting where it allows students to choose and discuss their own books.  In addition, anyone who is interested can go to the club meetings. You don’t have to be an English major or minoring in English to attend, as long as you’re interested in learning more about the English discipline. “Anyone is welcome to come. We’re working on a new club name, so it doesn’t sound like it is only meant for English majors,” Oxford said. “If
you are interested in reading and writing you are more than welcome. Also, if you are in need of help or are interested learning about English then please stop by. We’d love to find you the assistance you need.” The club doesn’t just talk about books or talk about English classes. “The Tuesday’s topic will have an emphasis on creative writing and the other will be used for professional/ academic writing,” Oldman said. “But it’s not just all writing – sometimes there will be workshops, sometimes speakers will be invited to speak.” You don’t want to miss the final meeting of the semester this month on November 12, 2019 in the O.A. Grant building at 4:30. “We want to give students a chance to get ready for finals and enjoy Thanksgiving and then we will be back in January,” Oxford said.