World Autism Day: Light it up red

The rainbow infinity symbol has become a new symbol to represent autism that is more inclusive than the traditional puzzle piece symbol that has been linked to Autism Speaks.

Photo Courtesy of www.reddit.com/r/autism/comments/f8ddvf/made_my_own_version_of_a_common_symbol_for_autism/

When you hear the word Autism, some might get nervous about the topic, others might feel confident about this topic and many don’t know about the National day. Tarleton State University’s Office of Diversity, Inclusion and International Programs (ODIIP) will host a Diversity Dialogue over Autism Perspectives on Tuesday, April 6 from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.
At the Diversity Dialogue students, faculty and staff are invited to sit down and listen to presentations by people who are Autistic and learn about how they experience their lives with Autism and how others experience their Autism.
Everyone experiences Autism in different forms, whether it’s someone close to you or your own expierence. It is key to know those who aren’t Autistic are Allistic, meaning you’re not Autistic.
Emily VanKirk ODIIP Student Specialist II, is in charge of coordinating the Diversity Dialogues.
“Autism itself is a unique experience. Some of the experiences that come from living with Autism, [and] being an Autistic individual, are shared experiences,” VanKirk said.
It is important to recognize not everyone who is Autistic, fits the stereotypes of Autism because everyone is their own unique person just like Allistic people. No one is perfect in this world and as a result of that people should not be tested by comparison.
“People judge [those who are Autistic] for having different needs in communication,” VanKirk said. “If you met one Autistic person, you’ve met one Autistic person.”
Each person is their own, if you were to gather a group of people in a room; everyone would react differently. Some may be more outgoing than others, some will immediately try to find a temporary friend and others will just stand and shy away. Everyone has their own quirks and everyone handles situations differently.
It’s important to note that both Allistic and Autistic people need support, because no one knows what is really going on in your life except yourself, so it’s important for anyone if they want to, to reach out to the correct resources. There are resources out there to support people with Autism, but it’s not just for them, it’s for Allistic people as well. There is a sensory safe place for people that are Autistic, and it’s located in the student counseling center; A quiet setting that can be a universal design aspect for all people.
ODIIP, has worked with students with disabilities to make on-campus resources more accessible. One student is working to get closed captions across the campus for the deaf population. Another student worked for months, to get a quite safe space established for students both Allistic and Autistic in the counseling center.
“What I see from students is a desire for universal access, universal design. The idea for universal design is that you make things accessible from go, with the most access to the most people you can on that particular situation, because what’s accessible for one person won’t be acceptable for another person,” VanKirk said. “The more we can do to support and accept people with Autism, the more we accept and support all people with different neurological needs.”
Everyone can have a part in making such a beautiful community feel welcomed. All you basically have to do, is not judge a book by it’s cover, share a smile, try to start a clear conversation, make those everyone feel welcomed; because after all these years in college play a crucial part in developing into adulthood.
For those who are asking, what is Autism? What’s the scientific meaning? Autism is a lifelong developmental disability, sometimes it’s noticed during childhood, sometimes it’s noticed in adulthood. Autism can have a strong impact on social skills, communication, personal relationships as well as self regulation. Autism has a spectrum, so it can affect people to varying degrees.
“Rigid moral structures are one of the core components of autism,” VanKirk said
It is important for all to learn about Autism, no matter the situation, it’s always important to know, not everyone is shy, to be shy, to be kind to one another, and to just show a caring hand and be a friend to one another.
To learn more you can visit:
autisticadvocacy.org/ as well as www.autism-society.org/what-is/
“Inclusion is not bringing people into what already exists; it is making a new space, a better space for everyone,” Professor at Ontario Institute for Studies in Education of the University of Toronto, George Dei said.
Let’s make room for one another, and create a welcoming safe environment too.