Tarleton Takes on Tik Tok Trends

Tarleton student TikToks go viral

Tik Tok is a video-sharing app used by teens and adults alike. Here at Tarleton State University, many Texans have made Tik Toks participating in fun dance challenges, sound trends, filming their move-in day, and a few have voiced their desire for more parking with a comedic approach.

Tarleton also has its own Tik Tok account, @tarletonstate, where videos about campus life, students, activities, and news are posted. 

One of the videos posted by this account, about the Tarleton Rodeo facility, went viral receiving more than 15 thousand likes and 83 thousand views.

There is also another Tarleton-related account managed by the Tarleton Activities Board (T.A.B.). This account is more interactive, in these Tik Toks, students and staff participate in dance challenges, skits and polls. They also make informational videos and videos that are relatable to college students. Many students have incorporated Tarleton into their Tik Toks. Multiple accounts posted videos of others doing the smeeze challenge at duck camp and rated their performances. There were also multiple people at duck camp participating in the trend that consists of passing around a pair of glasses and posing with them for a picture. Additionally, student @vivataylorr,  made a TikTok asking current college students “What are the best things to bring/buy for your dorm?” This video received 13 thousand likes and more than 1,000 comments helping the student with her packing list, and some comments even gave general college advice.

Recently, a Tik Tok by Tarleton student @caraaa_s went viral with over 15 thousand likes and more than 68 thousand views. This Tik Tok involved a group of people participating in the dance challenge to the song Let’s Groove by Earth, Wind & Fire. Another viral Tik Tok was made by @b.wade32, who expressed the need for more parking using a trending Tik Tok sound. The sound originates from Justin Laboy on @defiantdigital. 

“He has elaborate bs ideas every ten seconds, ‘Hey Teddy let’s doorbell ding dong ditch.’ (said, Teddy Ray) YOU ARE 36”, said Justin. 

The Tik Tok applies this audio,  “let’s take two years making a pool” implying that Dr. Hurley is Teddy pitching the ding-dong ditch idea, and “ WE WANT PARKING”  is a student response to replace “YOU ARE 36”. 

The student took a comedic approach to a parking situation many students relate to. So much so that this video received over 28 thousand likes and over 180 thousand views. 

Tik Tok at Tarleton is a way for students to stay in touch with what’s happening on campus and to laugh with, relate to, and interact with other students. People who graduated from, attend, or are planning on attending Tarleton can also catch a glimpse of life at Tarleton through these videos, many of them do. In the comments section, there are often students tagging their friends to things they relate to, or people expressing their excitement to attend Tarleton in the future.