Stop Getting Sidetracked

Study tips from a freshman

The Spring semester is back in full swing and in preparation for this new workload that is soon to be dumped onto all of our plates, I have made a list of tips and tricks I’ve learned since being  here at Tarleton State University.

I constantly find myself being easily sidetracked by the slightest things. The key to staying on track depends on what motivates you, and can be done in a multitude of ways. 

Finding a quiet space outside of your room can help minimize distractions, such as  a messy room or a comfy bed. Let’s  be real, naps are so much more inviting than reading about how the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell. 

By studying in the library or the student center, you are more likely to focus and hold yourself to  higher standards of  getting your work done in a timely manner.

Putting your phone on do not disturb can prevent you from getting distracted in the virtual reality that can be very time consuming. Study now; TikTok and Snapchat later. 

On that note, reward yourself with study breaks. Set a goal for yourself: “I will study five chapters and then I will grab a snack, take a walk around campus, or watch a few TikToks.” Follow through with your goals and do not cut yourself short, but allow yourself to let your mind rest when necessary, so that you do not become overwhelmed.

If you are someone that finds themselves working better in a group, gather a few people that you share a class with and sit down for a group study session. Being able to contribute ideas in a group setting can help fuel creativity, and you may learn tricks to remember content that was otherwise difficult.

Relate your study materials back to things that you enjoy by making up scenarios and analogies to keep yourself interested in what you are learning. Use the alternative study resources that professors provide you with, they share those because they are useful learning the materials they have designated for you.

Alternatively, find your own outside resources  and make study guides for yourself. You can make your own Quizlet, Kahoot, or study review sheet in preparation for upcoming tests. The repetition in reading your study materials, taking notes, and then preparing a study guide can help you memorize and remember your materials. Chewing a piece of gum or sucking on some hard candies such as peppermints or suckers may help you as well. 

It may sound like an odd study trick, but in my experience, it has helped me focus on the materials that I have been studying. Most importantly, make sure that when you sit down to study, you do not have any prior commitments or anything nagging at you in the back of your mind. Not everyone learns the same, so some of these tips may not work for you, but I encourage experimenting with some of the things mentioned to find what works best. Good luck this semester Texans!