Wow week

Wow+week

The welcoming of all Tarleton State students returning to campus is celebrated by a week of events that are filled with fun and lots of information. Maddy Augustine, who is currently a junior elementary education major, works within T.A.B. (Tarleton Activities Board)  as the student director of marketing. Maddy gives in a little glimpse of what WOW week is all about. 

“WOW week stands for the Week of Welcome. It is a full week of events for new students to meet new students on campus and get a glimpse of the involvement and events we have at Tarleton,” Augustine said.

Our Week of Welcome begins with the first day of school, Aug. 24, which falls on a Purple Thursday. There will be tents posted up around the Wisdom Gym, the Earl Rudder statue, the Barry B. Thompson Student Center portico, the Ultra, and at John T. statue. The tents will be set up from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. helping incoming freshmen or current students to guide them, answer any questions, and provide snacks.

There will also be a photo booth area at the dining hall patio from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to take your first day of school pictures. You can take pictures with friends or take one solo to send to your family, keep as a memory, or upload social media. There is also the chance to take  some pictures with Momma T and maybe even Dr. Hurley. 

Another activity taking place at this time will be DJ on the Lawn. It will be  held at the Dining Hall Patio and at the Library. It will continue from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. making this a great time to listen to some favorite tunes and hangout. 

Lastly, since it is the first purple Thursday of the school year, there will be an event from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. that will be held on the Business Building Lawn. The event will be a great opportunity to hang out and show up in your purple tees. There will be activities that will keep you company with a great snack.

On Aug. 25, the information tents will be held again at the same time and in the same locations. An event that you cannot miss if going Greek is Meet the Greeks. It will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. and all sororities and fraternities will be at the O.A. Grant Amphitheater. This is a great opportunity for those considering going Greek to meet those in fraternities and sororities. You can ask questions, get close, and even begin deciding which house you believe is best for you. If you are still new to the area and need a refresher of the cowboy capital, there will be a tour of Stephenville on Saturday, Aug. 26, and begin at 11a.m. The tour will start at the Barry B. Thompson Student center ballrooms and end around 2 p.m.

On Sunday, Aug. 27, the Hurleys will have an event held at the Trogdon house. The sundaes on Sunday activity will be held from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. and it is a great time to get to know the Hurleys, hang out with fellow Texans, and enjoy a sundae. 

The information tents will be held up again at the same time around the same areas on Aug. 28 from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. An open house to the Purple Snack Attack will begin from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Student Center in room 15. If you finish the open house early, make sure to stop by the Chat and Chew with the Blue event. Zeta Phi Beta is holding this event on the dining hall patio. To conclude the day, at 8:30 p.m., a Foam Party will be held at the O.A. Grant Amphitheater with DJ Kel. 

Starting on Aug. 29, the information tents will be up once again at the same time and same places to answer any questions. The Baptist Student Ministry will be holding a big feed at the Student Center ballrooms from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. So, if you get to feeling a little hungry around lunchtime, make sure to stop by and grab a plate 

A Faith fair will be in the Student Center common area from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. where many ministries will be there for those who want to strengthen their life with Christ. A Global Hip-Hop Immersion will start from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Dining Hall Patio. At 7 p.m. there will be Texan Bingo in the science building, room 27. This activity can be described as regular bingo, but with a twist of Tarleton State traditions that will be prized with some Tarleton State University gear. 

On Aug. 30, the Farmers Market will be located at the dining hall patio from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Then, there will be a Black Student Union Cookout from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. at the O.A. Grant Amphitheater for those who want to eat and get to know the organization. 

Concluding the week, there will be a concert on the dining hall patio at 6:30 p.m. where Chandler Pearson will perform.