Loch Ness Monster Hunt in Scotland

Largest Search in Decades

A large sea creature, whose head reaches to the heavens, and whose hump glides across the water, searches for its prey as a man watches from afar. Supposedly, this is the first instance of someone ‘discovering’ the cryptid creature- the Loch Ness monster. 

The ‘discovery’ of this lake monster continues to spread hope to many in the search for this elusive creature, which sees no end in sight. On the weekend of August 27 and 28 of this year, a large group of monster hunters began their hunt in the Scotland area, in hopes of finding this foretold creature. Not only did it have many different types of people from many different parts of the world, but this has also been the largest search group for this cryptid in the past half-century. 

This search contained many proclaimed monster hunters, but this ‘quest’ was created by the Loch Ness Centre (LNC), who are dedicated to the history of the Loch Ness monster, or more lovingly proclaimed, “Nessie.” The LNC teamed up with local volunteer research group, Loch Ness Exploration (LNE), where they used a platitude of equipment to surf through the Scottish Highlands waters in hopes of any lasting evidence of Nessie. 

Superstitions and the supernatural are something that have both plagued and intrigued the minds of humans for centuries. Whether they are based in religion or folktales, they have played a part in our society’s stories, and beliefs. The Loch Ness monster, Nessie, is a popular folk story in Scotland, which told that a serpent roamed the waters of the lake, or Loch Ness. There have been many people who have come forward with stories on capturing her, but none come as close as the “Surgeon’s Photo” that went to public in 1933. The likelihood of this picture being real is low, as it is a known hoax, however, the impact this picture had on society’s knowledge of Nessie is significant. Suddenly, a lot of attention was brought to this story, and it left many wanting to try their luck in capturing her. 

There were 17 different locations where participants were positioned to accurately comb through the waters, using surveying equipment such as hydrophones and thermal imaging monitors. The hunt began about 10 a.m. and concluded around 6 p.m. each day. These quests included 100s of people who participated, many of whichhad to deal with harsh weather conditions, which LNC has currently christened “Nessie’s Revenge.” 

“You’ve seen the rain, it was unbelievable, but we still managed to do hopefully what we were setting out to do with our volunteers,” the Founder of LNE, Alan McKenna, told the press.

Unfortunately, for all Nessie enthusiasts, no concrete evidence was found of the creature during the hunt. However, many people who came to Loch Ness to search were still joyful and enthusiastic about the weekend. There are talks of this hunt becoming an annual occurrence. Although there seems to be no hope of finding this lovely creature, that has not deterred some enthusiasts. 

Once the “quest” had concluded, two people, upon hearing of the hunt, came forward to the Official Loch Ness Monster Sighting Register with pictures they had taken of this supposed creature. Both are not very clear, and many do not trust the honesty of these sightings, however, both have been accepted into the register. 

The LNC and LNE can both be found online, where they posted their discoveries and research of this creature. This large search for the Loch Ness monster may have ended with no solid evidence, but the search for this creature seems to not be over anytime soon.

For more information regarding the hunt and the Loch Ness monster herself, go to