Grab-a-Grassburr

“The Place to Be”

The annual Grab-a-Grassburr event is back and better than ever. The event will take place on Sept. 27 in the ballrooms where students and faculty alike can pick up last year’s Grassburr. 

“We have an annual distribution event each year to release The Grassburr. Our Grab-a-Grassburr event this year will be Sept. 27, from 5-7 p.m. in the Thompson Student Center Commons and Ballroom. Here, students can claim their copies, snag some swag, and get their books signed while reliving the nostalgia,” Shayla Moose, communications specialist and Grassburr advisor, explained. 

Many Tarleton State students do not know or recognize what the Grassburr is. In many ways, it is a time-capsule. A book that brings the whole campus together, piece by piece. 

“Like the plant, Tarleton State traditions have adapted to withstand the harsh weathering of years and environmental influences; thriving even in hard times. Its culture digs into you with a sharpness that you cannot ignore, and we spread its energy wherever we go. Even after you pull out the burr, the feeling and sensation lingers still as does the Tarleton State student experience,” Moose says. “The Grassburr yearbook captures these memories, these seeds that will be spread when students graduate. It is a time-capsule that preserves our memories, while opening the door for future generations.” 

Something like the Grassburr takes endless effort. This book takes all school year to make and then some. These staff members dedicate a part of their college life to their team and the year long creation of this book. 

“It takes so much work. From the moment the first students walk on campus in the fall, till the moment Commencement is over in the Spring, we are in the office creating pages that will reflect on our time here at Tarleton. We are always brainstorming new and fresh ideas to incorporate into the Grassburr,” Hannah Bell, the current Editor-in-Chief of the Grassburr, says. 

Not only does it take dedication to complete the book, this event was not so easy to plan itself. 

We have been planning this event for probably about four months,” Bell says.

With the amount of time put into the Grab-a-Grassburr event, the staff and faculty who have been working to put it together are hoping for a record breaking attendance number. 

“All students, 2023 grads, faculty and staff are welcome to attend and relive the past year. Freshmen, while not in the 2022-2023 edition, are encouraged to attend and see the reveal for the cover and theme of the upcoming 2024 book we are beginning,” Moose explained. 

While we attend college to grow and learn, some of us find that we learn most from experiences that we never thought we would have. 

“I have learned so many things creating “The Place to Be” as an editor that I can now apply to our new edition as Editor-In-Chief. I think the thing I have learned most is that creativity can spark in the craziest moments and when the opportunity arises, take it, because you never know when it will come again,” Bell explained.  

Make sure you attend as there will be a surprise for the first 50 guests who get their books. 

“Say hello when you see us out and about and do not forget that your Grassburr is included in your tuition, so be sure to come snag yours on Sept. 27,” Moose concluded.