Lawmen:Bass Reeves

The show filmed in North Texas

In the spring of 2023, filming crews took over in North Texas in order to shoot scenes for the upcoming T.V. series, “Lawmen: Bass Reeves.”  The Paramount+ series is part of the popular “Yellowstone” universe and is based on Reeves’ life.

Reeves, “a real-life American hero,” said to be “one of the greatest frontier heroes in American history,” according to Fiction Horizon.

Reeves was born into slavery in 1838. Later, he entered law enforcement and became the first black deputy U.S. Marshal west of the Mississippi River. In his career, he was reported to have captured over 3,000 criminals without ever getting hurt.

In April, according to The Flash Today II Erath County, “crews were in action as work to take downtown Stephenville back in time continued. Work was being done so that scenes could be shot for an upcoming Paramount+ series filmed in and around Erath County.”

The Flash Today also reported that some businesses were having to close due to the filming and parking temporarily changed downtown while the crew filmed in late spring.

Lori Bramlett Mayfield, a resident of Erath County, was lucky enough to be cast as an extra in the series. “It was so much fun,” Lori told Beneath the Surface News about her experience. “During the filming in Stephenville, Lori was cast as a ‘town folk’ with a ‘Fort Worth look.’”

While Mayfield could not disclose the plot of the series, she did announce that some of the scenes shot in Stephenville will be part of the first episodes of the show.

Mayfield also spoke highly of Dennis Quaid, who plays the titular character, saying, “He was very friendly and funny, always cutting jokes.”

Quaid plays Sherill Lynn, a Deputy U.S. Marshal, alongside David Oweloyo, who plays the titular character. Quaid is known for his roles in movies such as “The Parent Trap,” “The Rookie,” and “A Dog’s Journey.” Oweloyo has previously worked in films including “Peter Rabbit,” “The Help,” and “Selma.”

Quaid and Oweloyo are also joined by a slew of co-stars, including Lauren E. Banks (“City on a Hill”), Moses Brings Plenty (“Yellowstone”), Forrest Goodluck (“Pet Sematary: Bloodlines”), and Demi Singleton (“King Richard”).

Production for the series began in January of 2023 and filming wrapped up in the early summer. Besides Stephenville, the “Yellowstone” spinoff was also filmed in Fort Worth, Weatherford, Glen Rose, Waxahachie, and Strawn.

Since the initial announcement of “Lawmen: Bass Reeves” in 2021, the show has been kept mostly under wraps. However, Paramount+ did release a short teaser in early August and most recently, on Sept. 7, uploaded a longer trailer for the show. Both give viewers more insight into what the plot of the film may revolve around.

“Lawmen: Bass Reeves” will premiere on Paramount+ on Nov. 5, 2023. theflashtoday.com/2023/04/14/downtown-stephenville-undergoes-changes-for-part-in-bass-reeves-show/

https://www.beneaththesurfacenews.com/post/as-filming-for-bass-reeves-ends-in-stephenville-lori-mayfield-shares-her-experience-as-an-extra

https://fictionhorizon.com/who-is-sherrill-lynn-in-1883-the-bass-reeves-story-meet-dennis-quaids-character/