Yell Contest

Let’s Get Loud!
Yell+Contest

Traditions are  a big part of what makes Tarleton State University so special. From lighting a candle at the convocation, to receiving a class ring at the ring ceremonies, Texans are able to participate in over 120 years of traditions throughout their academic journey. 

During homecoming week, students, staff, and alumni alike are able to watch and participate in some of Tarleton State University’s most popular traditions, including one of the university’s loudest traditions, Yell Contest. 

Since it was first introduced in the early 1980s by the Student Government Association, Yell Contest has become a tradition of competition between student organizations across campus. 

To compete in Yell, students must register for the contest, which is usually advertised a few weeks before homecoming week. By the time registration opens up, many organizations will have already been working on their “yell” for weeks, putting hours upon hours in in the hopes of earning the title of yell champion. 

Each group’s “yell” is unique and original, centering around a theme of the group’s choice. From Christmas songs to country, from Taylor Swift to rap, the possibilities are endless. 

After each group establishes a theme, they get to work, taking a handful of songs from their theme and changing the lyrics to feature different Tarleton traditions. Along with their original chants and lyrics, students also create different formations, steps, and dance patterns to implement in their routine.

The night of Yell Contest, competitors take their “yell” to Wisdom Gym to perform in front of a panel of judges and a large audience. Following the completion of Yell Contest and the Snake Dance, the winners of Yell will be the first to beat the drum after the Plowboys. 

The loud and exciting tradition of Yell Contest is definitely not one to miss. Yell Contest 2023 will take place on Wednesday, Oct. 18 in Wisdom Gym, from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. Whether you are competing or watching from the stands, you will be able to take part in a night to remember.