Spreading holiday cheer to those who need it most

Charity organizations around the holidays

No matter the time of year, it is always a splendid time to contribute to a charity in any shape or form. The winter season is an excellent occasion to spread a bit of holiday cheer to children, families, and other distressed individuals by donating to any number of the holiday charities across America. 

The Salvation Army is perhaps the most recognizable and widespread holiday charity of the lot. While you are out shopping during the Christmas and yuletide season, it is almost guaranteed that you will come across a volunteer who is ringing a bell and collecting donations in a large red bucket. Any donations that are graciously and selflessly put into the bucket are spent wisely and put toward efforts like buying ingredients to stock Salvation Army soup kitchens and food pantries, grocery and bill paying assistance for low-income families, providing Christmas gifts to empty-handed children, and many other beneficial aspects to help less fortunate families year round. 

Moreover, the Salvation Army also hosts the Angel Tree program whereby clothes and toys are purchased and provided in the form of Christmas gifts to less privileged children. 

“Most people know The Salvation Army for our Red Kettles, our Angel Trees, and our strong presence during the holiday season, but we support local families all throughout the year. The donations we collect during the holiday season not only help us provide gifts to children who would otherwise go without, but they also help us provide food, shelter, and utility assistance to those who need it most every day of the year,” the Salvation Army website urged. “Every dollar dropped into a red kettle helps give local families the Christmases they deserve and the yearlong support they so desperately need.”

In addition, the United States Marine Corps sponsors a toy drive every holiday season called “Toys for Tots,” and any toy donations provided by the general public directly go toward providing children in need in local impoverished communities. Anything from dolls, action figures, toddler toys, and even books can be donated at a drop-off location in your local community, and the donations are then distributed to children who typically are not fortunate enough to receive any other gifts on Christmas morning. 

“Through the gift of a new toy or book, Marine Toys for Tots programs bring the joy of Christmas and send a message of hope to America’s disadvantaged children. To date, we’ve distributed 652 million toys to 291 million deserving children,” the Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots website illustrated. 

Lastly, the Christian relief organization called Samaritan’s Purse, puts together a project titled, “Operation Christmas Child,” whereby the community fills up red and green shoebox-sized containers with toys, goodies, and school supplies to provide for a child in need. 

“Operation Christmas Child delivers great joy and the Good News of Jesus Christ to children in need around the world through gift-filled shoe boxes. Each box packed full of quality toys, school supplies, and personal care items becomes a tangible expression of God’s immense love for the child. For many, it is their first gift ever! Delivered by our local church partners, shoebox gifts provide an opportunity to present the Gospel to boys and girls in a clear, child-friendly way,” the Samaritan’s Purse website explained. 

This holiday season, consider spending a few extra dollars to fill up a Christmas shoebox for an underprivileged child, or putting some loose change in the red Salvation Army bucket on your way into Walmart. Though we will never know who ended up reaping the benefits of our contribution, it is without a doubt that the donations went to a cause that was well worthy of the offering. 

For information regarding charity organizations that are in need of donations this holiday season, please visit www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-top-charities-that-offer-online-christmas-help-for-low-income-families/ and www.extraspace.com/blog/giving-back/charities-you-can-support-for-the-holidays/amp/.