Hidden Christmas pickle

Christmas traditions to adopt his holiday season

Seeing that there are countless families who partake in the celebrations of the holiday season, and a myriad of cultures who commemorate with celebratory customs, as a result, there are hundreds of traditions that are showcased throughout the yuletide season. 

Some of the well-known and fan favorite modernized American traditions include activities like building and decorating a gingerbread house, baking holiday pastries for a cookie exchange, and keeping up with the beloved “Elf on the Shelf” ordeal in addition to many other common traditions. 

However, with the ever growing popularity of Christmas and the romanticizing of the holiday season as a whole, many more holiday activities and traditions have been added to the roster. 

One of the more unique Christmas traditions is interpreted by hiding a pickle ornament amidst the leafy green foliage of a family’s household Christmas tree. The tradition typically follows the rule that whoever finds the green pickle ornament first gets to open an extra Christmas present and obtains good luck for the year to come. The beginnings of this Christmas tradition are a bit jumbled in origin, but nonetheless it would be a fun tradition to adopt into your family home this Christmas. 

“Every year, the Christmas pickle is the last ornament to be hung on the tree hidden in the green branches — or in my family’s case, it is rehidden on Christmas Eve to prevent cheating. Then on Christmas morning, the first child to find the pickle receives a special treat or gets to open the first gift. It is also said that the person who finds the pickle will be granted good luck in the coming year,” contributor for the Allrecipes website, Bailey Fink reported. 

Advent calendars are another fantastic way to build up cheer and suspense in anticipation for Christmas Day, and nowadays there is a bountiful selection of advent calendars to choose from for the entire family. Supermarkets like Walmart, Target, World Market, Aldi, and Trader Joe’s each have advent calendar options for sale ranging from alcoholic beverages to beauty supplies, to foods and chocolates. Advent calendars fall into a range of prices, and depending on your budget, the sky is the limit. Needless to say, there is an advent calendar in existence that is sure to tickle everyone’s fancy. 

An extremely sentimental, yet affordable, holiday tradition to take up starting this Christmas season is to purchase a cheap holiday themed mug or ornament each December to begin collecting over the years. In no time at all, you will have accumulated many ornaments to fill up the branches of your Christmas tree or countless, unique mugs to sip warm hot chocolate out of every time the holiday season rolls around.

Generally, games like Secret Santa and White Elephant are played amongst family members and friends in the weeks leading up to Christmas. However, there are a whole new throng of modern holiday games that are taking the spotlight, one of which is referred to as “The Saran Wrap Game” 

“The Saran Wrap Game” is a fairly new holiday game that many families have favored throughout the Christmas season, moreover, it is the perfect game for participants of all ages. 

“It is called ‘The Saran Wrap Game’ and it is just that…a massive Saran Wrap Ball with a ton of goodies layered throughout the ball and one awesome prize in the center!” the Saran Wrap Ball website explained. 

“The first person with the ball starts unwrapping while the person on their right rolls a pair of dice, trying to roll doubles. Once doubles are rolled, the ball is passed to the next player and the sequence begins again. The person with the ball does not stop unwrapping until the person to their right rolls doubles. This creates a wonderful suspense and urgency to the game. You get to keep whatever treasure falls out of the saran wrap along the way! Make sure to put the best gift in the middle and remember…you can be creative and make this saran wrap ball as big as you want!” 

As can be seen, there are countless holiday traditions that can make an appearance into your jolly household this upcoming winter break. 

If none of the above ideas sound fitting, please visit www.goodhousekeeping.com/holidays/christmas-ideas/g23601545/christmas-traditions-kids-family/, www.today.com/life/holidays/christmas-traditions-rcna50649, and www.countryliving.com/entertaining/g4933/christmas-traditions-around-the- world/ for more holiday fun-filled ideas.