Landry Underwood named Greek Life Advisor

Courtesy of: Landry Underwood

Joseph Kamin/ Sports Editor [email protected]

After almost a year vacancy, Landry Underwood has been appointed Greek Advisor, an office previously filled in the interim by Executive Director of Student Engagement, Darrell Brown.

The Greek Advisor entails overseeing all Greek events and recruitment, whether Inter-fraternity, Panhellenic or Inter-Greek.

“One of the main things that I want to focus on is to show the positives of Greek life 365 days a year, not just during recruitment week,” said Underwood. “Greek life has so many positive aspects to it, and I want to help show that to the university and community here.”

Many members of Greek life are involved in organizations outside of their Greek affiliation. According to data published on Tarleton.edu/greeklife, 75 percent of Duck Camp leaders, Summer Orientation leaders, Student Government, Student Programming Association, Texan Reps, Alumni Ambassadors and other organizations on campus are involved in or were involved in some aspect of Greek life.

During the 2015-2016 school year, two Greek Organizations Phi Kappa Sigma Fraternity Inc. and Alpha Omicron Pi Sorority Inc. were colonized at Tarleton. Increasing the number of Greek organizations is something that Underwood wishes to focus on. “I want students to come to me and ask to bring more organizations, if students are not interested in joining a Greek organization, then [the organization] will die out.”

Underwood completed her undergraduate degree at University of Arkansas where she was a member of Alpha Omicron Pi Sorority, and obtained her Masters degree at Oklahoma State University in Stillwater, OK

In fall 2015, there was an estimated 11 percent or 1,197 students involved in Greek life. Greek housing is a reoccurring topic of conversation. While currently only the fraternity Alpha Gamma Rho has a house on campus, housing for Greeks has been discussed and will be looked in the future for other members of Greek life.