Tarleton student awarded civility Core Values coin

Hilaree Foreman/ JTAC News 2016

Hilaree Foreman, Editor-in-Chief

Today March 16, Junior Cameron Cook was awarded a Tarleton State University Core Values coin. Tarleton President, Dr. F. Dominic Dottavio, along with the Dean of the College of Liberal and Fine Arts, Kelli C. Styron presented Cook with the coin.

The Core Values coin presentation is the president’s way of recognizing a student’s actions and living up to at least the university’s core values: tradition, integrity, civility, leadership, excellence and service. These values serve to develop students of high moral and ethical conduct.

Cook, who is a stem cell donor, was awarded the civility coin for his selflessness in donating his stem cell.

“The actual donation process took five days, said Cook. “The first four days prior I went through a stem cell producing treatment where I was given Filgrastim (fill-grass-tim) injections that rapidly produced extra stem cells. This caused flu-like symptoms and achy bones. On the fifth day, the actual donation procedure took place, starting at 7:30 a.m spanning to 2:30 p.m. Then within 24 hours, the donation that I have is transplanted into the patient.” Cook was match for a patient with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, a type of cancer.

When awarding Cook with his coin, President Dottavio praised Cook for his words he sent to Dr. Dottavio which were, “When you have more than you need, why not give it to someone who needs it more.”