Jay Johnson just sent the best farewell email ever

In his final act of presidential advising, Johnson recommended students view the Star Wars: Force Awakens trailer.

Today marks the first official day in office for the 2015-2016 Tarleton State University Student Government Association team. 2014-2015 Student Body President Jay Johnson made the announcement via email, and included a geeky goodbye to Tarleton with his list of the next crop of SGA leadership.

“Having the opportunity to serve my university in this position has truly been a remarkable experience and I appreciate all those who have helped me along the way,” Johnson said, before listing this year’s Executive Branch, Student Senate and Judicial Branch members.

The most important part of Johnson’s email, however, came just afterward.

“Lastly, if you have not seen the trailer for Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens, I highly recommend you click on the below link,” Johnson noted, above a link to the trailer on YouTube. “It is incredible and comes out on my 24th birthday if you would like to see it with me.”

During his term in office, Johnson focused on increasing communication between the student body and SGA. Among developments under Johnson’s presiding are SGA In Motion, an email periodical that provides updates on recent legislation and campus issues, and the #SGASOS campaign that allows students to reach out to SGA via social media. Johnson also made a controversial decision earlier this semester to veto a bill that would possibly allow CHL (concealed handgun license) holders to bring their weapons to campus, citing the bill’s sub-par structure and safety concerns as his reasons for doing so. Many students showed support for Johnson’s decision, while others were unhappy.

One thing is certain – Johnson never pulled punches, as evidence by the parting line of his final email as Student Body President:

“I wish I could continue to fill your inbox with emails you likely don’t read, but I must move on.”

To follow Johnson’s advice and see the trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs.