Dottavio signs memorandum to combat sexual assault on campus

Tarleton President Dr. F. Dominic Dottavio was first to sign the MOU.

Tarleton State University President Dr. F. Dominic Dottavio and Jodee Lucero, President and CEO of Cross Timbers Family Services, attended a luncheon hosted by the Student Counseling Center on Thursday. During the luncheon, the two signed a Memorandum of Understanding, signifying a partnership between the two entities to combat sexual and domestic violence.

“Tarleton State University [and] Cross Timbers Family Services is agreeing to take a pro-active response toward sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, stalking and other violent crimes,” read the MOU, provided by Caris Thetford, Substance Abuse and Violence Prevention Coordinator for Tarleton. “The vision of the TSU and CTFS Memorandum of Understanding is to develop a coordinated response that is designed to enhance safety and justice for victims, hold perpetrators accountable, and provide education to the TSU community that will encourage social change.”

The partnership between TSU and CFTS was described as one that would increase efforts to prevent and deal with sexual violence in the Stephenville and Tarleton community through training of administrators, faculty and staff, and advocate for awareness and prevention of such incidents.

Several student organizations, including all four Panhellenic sororities, several IFC and IGC Greek organizations, student ministries and the School Wide Activities Team, signed a “proclamation for a healthy future” at the end of the luncheon.

“This year’s campaign is dedicated to creating safer campuses through campus sexual violence prevention and healthy sexuality. It’s time to proclaim our commitment to safer campuses and brighter futures,” read the proclamation. “Healthy sexuality means having the knowledge and power to express sexuality in ways that enrich our lives. It’s about every person being able to make consensual, respectful, and informed choices. There is no room for pressure, violence, or control.”

Lucero and Dottavio, along with Thetford, Interim Vice President for Student Life Darla Doty, and Dr. Leigh Baker of the Student Counseling Center, were united in their stance against sexual violence, and intend for this new partnership to encourage the rest of Tarleton to follow suit.

Last week, Student Government Association assisted in gathering hundreds of signatures from individual students. Any student who wishes to sign the proclamation may contact Thetford at (254) 968-0779.