Tarleton PD release report of sexual assault off campus – second in two weeks

This report comes just days after a similar alert to a sexual assault that occurred near campus last week.

The Tarleton State University Police Department released a crime alert today, regarding a report of a sexual assault that occurred off campus last week. This report comes just days after a similar alert to a sexual assault that occurred near campus last week.

“Sunday evening March 29th, the Tarleton State University Police received a report of a sexual assault that occurred off campus approximately one week prior to the report in an apartment complex frequented by students,” according to the crime alert.

Because the reporting party knew the suspect of the assault, it does not appear that the two incidents are related.

“The phenomenon of drugs and alcohol being used to facilitate sexual assault has been widely reported across the country,” said the report. “The Tarleton State University Police Department urges the Tarleton community to treat everyone with civility and respect.”

Consent may not be granted by an individual under the influence of substances in the state of Texas.

“People under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, who are unconscious or sleeping, who may be undergoing a medical procedure, or whom the state has declared incapacitated (unable to make decisions for their own well-being) cannot consent,” according to the Dallas Area Rape Crisis Center website.

“Understand that when a person is under the influence of alcohol or drugs they may not be capable of giving consent to participating in sexual conduct,” said the Tarleton PD report. “To not verbally say no does not mean consent is granted.”

The name of the apartment complex where the incident took place was not released due to an ongoing investigation by the Stephenville Police Department.

For more information about the laws surrounding sexual assault and consent, visit http://www.dallasrapecrisis.org/.