Office of Diversity and Inclusion and SWAT to host 2nd annual leadership conference

Additional sponsors include Career Services, Center for Academic Readiness and Success and Student Success and Multicultural Initiatives.

On March 27, the Tarleton State University Office of Diversity and Inclusion and School Wide Activities Team (SWAT) will host the second annual Leaders4Diversity Conference. The conference will provide workshops, speakers and sessions to encourage greater understanding of diversity.

“We’re thrilled to offer this conference for the second year,” said Diversity and Inclusion Director Lora Helvie-Mason. “It’s a great opportunity for our students.”

The conference will be open for any Tarleton students to attend. Last year’s conference saw 100 students in attendance, and this year’s is expected to reach

even more.

“We bring in speakers for a variety of sessions,” Helvie-Mason said. “They come from all over the United States, and some even come from Tarleton. Last year the GSA [Tarleton Gay-Straight Alliance] did a presentation, along with the Disability Organization.”

Diversity and Inclusion accepts proposals for potential speakers before selecting those who will reflect the ideals of the conference.

“Our goal is to promote leadership in the field of diversity, to embrace and to engage with others,” said Helvie-Mason. “How do you stand for others, use your voice, and do the ethical thing? Basically, tools for everyday life.”

Registration is now open, and can be accessed at http://tinyurl.com/L4D2015. The price is $10 per student, which covers breakfast, lunch and a “swag bag” during the conference. Spots are expected to fill quickly.

Additional sponsors include Career Services, Center for Academic Readiness and Success and Student Success and Multicultural Initiatives. If interested in sponsoring, please contact [email protected] or (254) 968-9488.