TSMRI shows Tarleton how to keep it private

Tarleton students, faculty and staff can also follow the Texas Social Media Research Institute on Twitter @TSMRI for tips and to join in on the discussion.

The Texas Social Media Research Institute (TSMRI) at Tarleton State University has become an official champion for Data Privacy Day. On Jan. 28, the group hosted and joined in on five Twitter chats on data privacy topics. Data Privacy Day is held annually on January 28 and observes safe online practices while urging Internet users to rethink their online presence.

“It’s wonderful to see the TSMRI become a champion for Data Privacy Day,” said Dr. Sarah Maben, TSMRI co-director. “Our organization was founded to help foster education about communication technology and social media. Championing Data Privacy Day is one way to spread the message about safety online.”

TSMRI encourages everyone to take part in a series of Twitter chats that will be occurring until Feb. 19 to celebrate Data Privacy Month. The group will host discussions about data privacy for the first three weeks of February.

“Data Privacy Day is a reminder to us all to check our privacy settings for our online profiles and devices,” Maben explained. “In the hubbub of daily life, we can become too busy to check them. Social networks change policies and settings, and we must take a few moments to protect ourselves.”

TSMRI encourages Tarleton students, faculty and staff to help promote safe online practices by taking a few moments to rethink online presence and read user agreements and permission screens, turn off location-based data, always check app permissions before downloading, think twice before hitting the post button and follow Twitter groups like @StaySafeOnline for reminders and updates on data privacy measures. More tips can be found at http://www.staysafeonline.org/data-privacy-day/privacy-tips/