Freshman rodeo member lost in single-vehicle accident

Bruce, 23, was a freshman at Tarleton State University and a member of the rodeo team.

A fatal car accident Thursday morning led to the passing of Tarleton State University freshman Colton “Colt” Bruce. The 23-year old Aledo native was found dead at the scene of the wreck on Old Garner Road, approximately three miles outside of Weatherford, TX. Bruce and Garrett Martin Bradford, the alleged driver of the 2011 Toyota Corolla involved in the accident, reportedly crashed into two trees on the passenger side of the vehicle around 1:45 a.m.

According to Sr. Trooper Dub Gillum, Bruce was ejected from the car on impact and passed away from blunt force trauma to the head and chest during the crash. Bradford apparently left the scene on foot and was found approximately seven miles away searching for assistance. Bradford reportedly admitted to consuming alcoholic beverages before the accident.

Bruce was a member of the Tarleton rodeo team and a 2010 graduate of Aledo High School. He was also a bareback rider for the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association (PRCA), United Professional Rodeo Association (UPRA) and Cowboy’s Professional Rodeo Association (CPRA).